The reason this report is called the “2020” report is that our 2020 Law School Ranking Report and 2020 Law School Profiles are of considerable interest to potential law school applicants who wish to enroll in courses starting in fall 2020. At the time of publication of this report in spring 2019, these employment statistics reflected the most recent data available. In April 2015, NYLS announced a partnership with Simon Business School at the University of Rochester, allowing the business school to move its center from New York to the NYLS Tribeca campus. The agreement allows the two institutions to use different schedules and collaborate on joint programs to serve their respective students and alumni. The agreement created the only law school and joint business school under one roof in New York.    New York Law School has a fairly favourable student-faculty ratio. The average class size for the 1L sections is approximately above average compared to other law schools. The diversity of students in New York is average. When New York Law School reopened in 1919, it was located in another building at 215 West 23rd Street in Midtown.
However, George Chase contracted an illness that led him to head the New York Law School from his bed for the last three years of his life. He died in 1924. New York Law School continued without Chase and peaked in the mid-1920s, but experienced a steady decline thereafter. At the onset of the Great Depression, law schools began to see a serious decline in enrollment, forcing the law school to accept much lower student status than before. With far fewer students and fewer students, the law school moved to smaller facilities at 253 Broadway, directly across the street from City Hall.  In 1936, the Faculty of Law moved to another location at 63 Park Row, across the grounds from City Hall; In the same year, it also became co-educational. However, enrollment was still declining, both because of the Great Depression and because of conscription that began in 1940, and the school was closed in 1941. The remaining students, who were still enrolled, completed their studies at St. John`s University School of Law in Brooklyn.  NYLS Law ranks #50 in terms of tuition fees among full-time law students ($51,732). We rank out of a total of 283 tuition fees from 194 law schools and rank twice as many law schools that have different tuition fees inside and outside the state.
The 2017 edition of U.S. News & World Report, published in March 2016, ranked New York Law School #111 in its list of U.S. law schools, up 16 places from the previous year. This edition recognized the school for its clinical programs, part-time evening department and diversity. Since then, the NYLS ranking has steadily declined and is currently tied at 4 for #129 (with Seattle University, Duquesne and Belmont); That`s down 12 spots from 2019, when NYLS was also tied at 4 for #117 (along with St. Thomas University, TTU, Gonzaga and Creighton).   The law school opened its first dormitory in the East Village in 2005 and, in August 2006, developed the $190 million expansion and renovation program that transformed its Tribeca campus into a cohesive architectural complex that nearly doubled the school`s current size. The centerpiece of the expansion is a new 235,000-square-foot (nine-storey) 235,000-square-foot glazed building – five storeys above ground and four below that integrates the existing law school buildings. The new institution opened in July 2009, followed by the complete renovation of the existing Faculty of Law buildings in the spring of 2010. New York Law School (NYLS) is a private law school located in Tribeca, New York. NYLS has a full-time day program and a part-time evening program.
NYLS faculty consists of 54 full-time faculty and 59 associate professors. Notable faculty members include Edward A. Purcell Jr., an authority on the history of the U.S. Supreme Court, and Nadine Strossen, a constitutional law expert and president of the American Civil Liberties Union from 1991 to 2008. After its reopening in 1947, the law school launched a new program influenced by an alumni committee headed by New York Supreme Court Albert Cohn. The Faculty of Law resumed its activities in a building located at 244 William Street. The New York Law School was accredited by the American Bar Association in 1954 and moved to premises at 57 Worth Street in Tribeca in 1962. In the winter of 1890 a dispute arose at Columbia Law School over an attempt to introduce the method of the case. The case method was developed at Harvard Law School by Christopher Columbus Langdell. The dean and founder of Columbia Law School, Theodore Dwight, rejected this method, preferring the traditional method of letting students read treatises rather than court decisions.
Because of these disagreements, Dwight and a number of other Columbia Law School professors and students left Columbia Law School and founded their own law school in Lower Manhattan the following year. In 1973, E. Donald Shapiro became dean of the law school and reformed the program and added many more classes to train students to more than just pass the bar exam. These reforms, combined with the addition of new joint degree programs with the City College of New York in 1975 and Manhattanville College in 1978, helped the law school recruit new students. Dean Shapiro`s curriculum reform led New York Law School to become a member of the Association of American Law Schools in 1974. That year, the New York State Department of Education changed its view of the law school, which it had criticized in a 1973 report as the worst school in the state, proclaiming that the law school had experienced a “renaissance.”  According to U.S. News & World Report, the average debt of NYLS students who incurred law school debt in 2015 was $161,910, and 80% of 2015 graduates went into debt.  According to the same source, the average debt of 2013 law school graduates who took on law school debt was $164,739 (excluding student debt), and 84% of 2013 graduates went into debt.
 Founded in 1891, New York Law School (NYLS) is an independent law school located in the heart of New York`s emerging legal, government, financial, and technology centers. Known as “New York City Law School,” NYLS embraces the city as a classroom by complementing rigorous legal education with an innovative and diverse set of “NYC-unique” experiential learning opportunities. Since its opening nearly 125 years ago, the law school has produced graduates who hold high elected and appointed positions in the city, run large and small businesses, and are widely recognized as captains of business and industry. The Faculty of Law`s renowned faculty of prolific scholars has built its strength in areas such as constitutional law, civil and human rights, business and financial law, media and information law, tax law, real estate and a range of interdisciplinary fields. The law school is fully accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools. New York Law School is one of the oldest independent law schools in the United States. The law school was founded in 1891 by a group of professors, students, and graduates of Columbia Law School under the direction of its founding dean, Theodore William Dwight, a prominent figure in the history of American legal education. Dwight and his fellow pioneers broke away from Columbia College to protest teaching methods they did not support. They founded New York Law School in Lower Manhattan, where it has remained ever since, at the heart of the city`s legal, financial, state, and corporate headquarters. In 1894, the law school established one of the first evening departments in the country to offer an alternative to the full-time study of law. New York Law School quickly became a success. In 1892, after only one year of operation, it was the second largest law school in the United States; In 1904, it was the largest.
It experienced steady growth in its early years, interrupted only for a year when the school closed during World War I. During those early years, the law school saw some of its most famous alumni graduates. The law school was forced to close a second time from 1941 to 1947 for the duration of World War II. After its reopening, the law school launched a new program influenced by an alumni committee led by Albert Cohn of the New York Supreme Court. This led to accreditation by the American Bar Association in 1954; Continued growth led to membership in the Association of American Law Schools in 1974.